Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Ohhhh shiny.......

I have realized I am a victim of a four letter word. Fads. Hmmm. Well, not your typical fads I guess. Just my own personal ones. I start something - I think it's awesome and in a few months I am sick of it and move on. Mostly because I over do it I think. I am that kid that played the cool new tape over and over just switching it's sides and listening to it again. I wore out the video of the Last Unicorn as a kid. Now I have it on DVD.

Kind of like when I picked up cross stitching. I thought - hey this would be a great Christmas idea. I had only done one wizard at that point. So I searched online and bought a bunch of patterns for male Disney characters for my nephews quilt. Great fun. Well the first ones were, but trying to get them all done during my lunch breaks and between housecleaning, kids, laundry etc., was stressful. So of course I had to do a pillowcase with a big Cinderella crosstitched on it for my niece. Well, at 3:30 Christmas morning I finished. Phew! For 6 months I stitched and then I was done. I bought an awesome dragon one a year and a half ago. It's 1/4 done I think.

After cross stitching I turned to puzzles. I love/hate puzzles. I like the ones that are made of tons of tiny pictures. I have decided that I very much dislike the ones that are all angles without the little hookies. They are too hard because any piece could fit. After doing a holographic/3D one of clown fish I am not sure I would do that again. It took almost a month. I glued it together. You have to understand - it was just clown fish, not a reef, no background, just clown fish, 3D clown fish. This ended my 5 month obsession with puzzles.

I think after that I just stuck to reading for a while. I love to read. Always have, always will. I think Hell for me would be no books. Then I picked up scrap booking but that just didn't last long. Basically because I suck. Then I went through a cooking thing. New things, strange things. Why not? My family was grateful when that toned down.

The thing is though, I cycle through them so I don't have to feel bad about having bought stuff for them. Because after cooking I went back to my dragon, did a Captain Jack puzzle, read a book. So I guess I don't drop them completely, they just have seasons. :)

I think I have found a new one. This one might stick. I bought a sewing machine in May. It's homemade Christmas year and I was not borrowing one like we did last time for the fish pillows. It was a good deal, and it looked cool. I didn't really know much about sewing machines so I just picked it by price and how cool it sounded. Which surprisingly turned out really well for me. I like it. It has cool feet that do neat things. I especially like the drop in bobbin and the button hole foot. Just push the buttonhole setting when you put the foot on and it does it all by itself. Sweet. So while doing Christmas projects I discovered 2 totally awesome stores. The Fabric Center on 90th and Redwood behind the Albertson's and by the movie theater and The Quilt Shop on 8790ish and State street. They both had the fabric I had been searching searching for that Joann's and Walmart never did. And they had this totally cute super awesome dragon quilt kit. It's my next project after Christmas. I'm excited. I bought it, wrapped it, and am going to put it under the tree from Aaron. :)

I am no seamstress, I have my share of uneven buttons, crooked seams etc, and I still don't know what half the words on the pattern mean, but I can figure most of it out. Here's hoping I don't mess it up too bad. :)

No comments:

Fun Stuff!